Lessons Learned from Wookey Farm

My time at Wookey Farm has come to an end and I'm ashamed to say I miss the dog most. But Robin the cat has filled the furry space in my heart again and I've made it to Pitt Farm (near Taunton). In the meantime, let's have a look at what I have learned from Wookey:

Sarah and some baby goats, all looking pretty cute

Efficiency and wasting nothing
On Wookey Farm there was a wonderful culture of efficiency: nothing was wasted. I realised that in comparison to them i was a very lazy recycler. Ian had obviously done his research and created a workable system, both on the farm and the campsite. They didn't waste any food either, we always hovered up leftovers, any edible food waste was enjoyed by Bubbles the pig, and the rest went on the dung pile with all the old goat bedding. In 2 years the dung pile becomes compost for the fields.


Working with other producers/suppliers/small businesses
Wookey village is unusual in that it has a successful cafe/village shop called the Wookey Hub. Andy and his partner have always aimed to create a business which serves the community, is affordable, open at convenient hours and that is friendly and welcoming. They are currently aiming to be entirely plastic-free yet remain low-cost for customers. The thing which really inspired me during my stay was how the local businesses (Wookey Farm, the Wookey Hub, the local b&b, etc) actually communicated and worked together. Sarah and Ian wanted to expand their farm shop and include some zero waste products for campers but they knew Andy was planning to go plastic free so they all went out for dinner to share their plans so nobody's business was overlapping. And it ended up that Andy knew a supplier of cheap glass bottles that would benefit the farm, and Ian could take some of the cafes drinks cans to be recycled. This excellent culture of knowing your neighbour, working with them, spending time with them, helping each other, is the most important tool for changing the system we live in. We need to cultivate it so that we can move away from a culture of individualism, towards the realisation that only when our whole community thrives can we truly be happy and successful.

Lovely Andy from the Hub

I have hayfever
Sadly I will never be a goat farmer. There's just too much hay involved.

Thinking about the morality of farming animals
Finally, when I began actively participating in the farming of animals I really had to confront the question of whether it is morally right. I discussed this with Louise recently: to rear animals solely to exploit them for meat or milk feels a bit underhand, a living thing which is born to die is pretty tragic. The larger the scale, the worse it feels. Even though Wookey Farm was very small-scale, it never quite sat right with me that we were farming animals in order to make money. But I feel relatively comfortable about farming animals to feed just myself/immediate family/friends. I'm sure this is an issue I will continue to explore.

I'll post a full update of Pitt Farm and my journey here very soon!

Farewell Mr Pickles! 💖

Comments

  1. Interesting stuff. I wonder what else you will uncover in Taunton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for the comment ;) much appreciated

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts